How to Use a Bullet Journal to Reflect on the Past Year and Plan for the Next One
As we move into a new year, it’s a great time to reflect on all that we accomplished in the past 12 months—and to set our sights on what we want to achieve in the year ahead. A bullet journal can be a helpful tool for both of these tasks. Here’s how to use your bullet journal to summarize the past year and plan for the next one.
Summarizing the Past Year with your bullet journal
A great way to start off the new year is by looking back at all that you accomplished in the previous one. This can be a fun exercise, but it can also be helpful in setting goals for the coming year. Here are some ideas for ways to summarize your past year in your bullet journal:
- Create a timeline of major events that took place during the year. This could include personal milestones like birthdays, graduations, and weddings, as well as major world events.
- Make a list of all of the countries you visited during the year. If you didn’t have any big trips, list all of the new places you explored in your own city or town.
- Write about your favorite memories from the past year. What made them so special? Was it a particular event, person, or place?
- Make a collage of photos from throughout the year. If you’re not crafty, you can simply glue or tape them into your journal. Or, get creative and try out some different collage techniques!
- Create a mood board with images, colors, and words that represent how you felt during the past year.
Planning for the New Year with bullet journal
Once you’ve taken some time to reflect on all that you accomplished in 2020, it’s time to start thinking about what you want to achieve in 2021. Again, your bullet journal can be a helpful tool in this process. Here are some ideas for ways to use your journal to plan for the new year:
- Set some goals for yourself! What do you want to accomplish in 2021? These could be personal goals (like running a marathon or learning a new language) or professional ones (like getting promoted or starting your own business). Write them down and refer back to them throughout the year to help keep yourself on track.
- Make a bucket list of things you want to do in 2023. These could be things you’ve always wanted to do (like visiting Paris or go skydiving) or things specific to this year (like reading 24 books or trying out every flavor of ice cream at your local shop). Again, refer back to this list throughout the year and check things off as you go!
- Plan out your dream vacation—even if you don’t think you’ll be able to take it this year. Where would you go? What would you do? This is a great way to get inspired for future travel plans!
- Brainstorm ideas for New Year’s resolutions. What do you want to change or improve about yourself in 2023? Once you’ve come up with some ideas, pick one or two that are most important to you and make a plan for how you’ll achieve them.
A bullet journal can be a great tool for reflecting on the past year and planning for the next one. By taking some time to think about what you accomplished in 2022 and what you hope to achieve in 2023, you can set yourself up for a successful and fulfilling new year!